Friday, August 19, 2011

DCM 'Banksy'

Another week, another Dare over at the Daring Cardmakers! This week is Samm's turn and has asked us to be 'Inspired by Banksy'.

So now is your chance to dig out those stencils, use that paint, throw in a few ironic sayings and give your card some 'street life' and show us what you've created.

Here is my card...

At first I was a little unsure how to translate a piece of street art into a card. The obvious choice for me would be Banksy's 'Little Girl with Balloon', as we have this hanging on our living room wall.

Rather than copy the image, I was inspired to use this as my inspiration. I found the following photo of my youngest son and thought I could create a stencil in true Banksy style for my card.

My partner couldn't wait to get involved with my project (the first time I think he's ever really paid any attention!), as he is a huge graffiti and street art fan. He very kindly cut the stencil out for me and of course, just had to do the spraying too!!

We originally used some Glimmer Mist spray inks and although I loved the outcome, it just didn't look quite right. We managed to find a can of black spray paint (my partners a builder so had some on his van - how lucky!) and tried this out and wow, it looks so much better. We decided to add a touch of colour and used some Glimmer Mist in blue.

Don't forget to check out my teamies blogs for their take on this weeks challenge.

Supplies used:
Cardstock - White and Black card
Ink - Glimmer Mist and Black Spray Paint


TFL!

8 comments:

Kathy said...

I love how this has turned out and also how you achieved the look - What a brilliant idea

Fiona said...

Amazing Keilly, love the photo and the stencil idea was inspired! This would look great on your wall too.
x

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Wow what a really clever idea - using a stencil couldn't be more Banksy and to create something so personal at the same time is wonderful!

Vanessa said...

Absolutely fantastic. :)

Jo said...

That is so cool - Love the personalised art - truly inspired!

jo xx

purple_pea_fran said...

This is wonderful - how cool is that personalised stencil?! Love it. Fran x

Tara Cardwell said...

what an amazing project! I LOVE how you've created your own stencil. Genius!

Samm said...

Oh my goodness! What a fantastic job! What a great idea and keepsake! Thanks for an awesome take on my dare.

Samm
X